Future of the Profession

View Only

Endorsed Research Participants Needed!

• 1.  Endorsed Research Participants Needed!

Posted Nov 14,2023 03:40 PM

Dear colleague, 

My name is Eric Finkelstein, and I serve as Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs at St. John's University (NY), where I am also completing my studies as an advanced standing doctoral student in the Educational Leadership program in the School of Education.  With over 20 years of experience in higher education and working in student housing and residence life, I have decided to write my dissertation on the job experience of early career housing professionals (ie. hall directors) and how those experiences impact retention to their job and the field. 

Your institution may meet the criteria I am seeking for my case study.  Should you choose to participate, consent forms will be signed in advance indicating that participants' names and personal information will remain confidential, and basic demographic information will be collected.  I am proud to have my research study endorsed by ACUHO-I and seek participants from one residence life/housing program, such as yours, to serve as a single-case study.  Participation in this study will include a series of 30-45 minute interviews with the senior housing officer, mid-level housing professionals, and early career professionals (ie. hall directors) from your institution, which will take place virtually. 

The impact and costs of recruiting and retaining staff can be harshest on smaller institutions.  In the aftermath of the "Great Resignation" in Student Affairs, learning more about how our early career professionals make sense of their job experience can provide meaningful insight for senior housing officers and their institutions.  If you are interested and willing to participate, please complete this brief Interest Form, or feel free to contact me directly at 917-435-5318 should you have any questions. 

Thank you,

Eric Finkelstein

Doctoral Candidate

St. John's University (NY)

#EnablingWorkforceSustainability

------------------------------
    Eric M. Finkelstein
    St John's University-New York
    Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs
    [email protected]
    ------------------------------
    Ecologic Furniture is in full compliance with The Sturdy Act.